Sunday, November 22, 2009

Blueberry Banana Pie

It's Thanksgiving week!  Aside from getting ready to go home and help with making all sorts of things for my family, I've been signed up to make a dessert for my work's Thanksgiving lunch.  After discussing with my kickass boss and officemate, it was decided that I would NOT be making anything containing pumpkin.  Even though I love the smell, I really don't enjoy it and neither does my boss.  It feels un-American, but that's how I feel.  Blueberry banana pie was suggested and, since I've never made a pie, I was up for the challenge.  




Kristi brought me the recipe that her grandmother used to make for family gatherings, here it is.

Ingredients
2 pie crusts
2-3 bananas
Whipped cream filling (instructions below)
1 can blueberry pie filling
2 teaspoons lemon juice

For the filling:
8oz. package cream cheese, room temperature
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 pint of whipping cream, whipped. (I did this by hand for the first time EVER, it was delicious and I'm pretty proud of myself)

Combine first four ingredients in a large bowl, mix until just combined.  Gently fold in the whipped cream, making sure to distribute the cream cheese mixture throughout the whipped cream.

Bake pie crusts using your favorite recipe, or do like I did and cheat with frozen pie crusts.  Let the crusts cool, then thinly slice the bananas and line the pie crusts with them.  Fill crusts with whipped cream filling, then put in refrigerator to chill for one hour.




Add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice to blueberry pie filling, mix well.  Divide the mixture in two and pour over the pies.  Chill overnight.



                                                                                                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment