Monday, February 15, 2010

Cosmopolitan Cupcakes

Image from SuperCocktails

I love to bake, that's no secret.  What is also not a secret is that the people in my life love...booze.  That's right, I said it.  So far, the two baked goods I've made that contained alcohol were more popular than anything else I've made.  A few weeks ago we had a meeting at work that required one of the most hilarious women I've met to travel down and participate.  She's super fun and, after we've completed work for the day, enjoys herself a Cosmo or two.  Once when we were at dinner, she drank her Cosmo so fast that she almost convinced the waitress she hadn't brought it.  Point being, she likes the drink.  In a totally healthy, not substance abusing way.

I figured I would adapt the same recipe I used for the Mimosa Cupcakes, just substitute ingredients more in line with what's in a Cosmo.  Vodka, cranberry juice, and orange zest in the batter paired with lime frosting.  The frosting needs work-it ended up being nothing special and I think that's mostly due to the absence of lime zest, next time I'll include that and hope for better results.  The cake was different, interesting even, and seemed to be pretty well enjoyed across the board.  Still thinking of ways to make it stand out a little more, perhaps more cranberry juice and less vodka.

Cosmopolitan Cupcakes

1 box white cake mix
1 Cup Vodka (I would probably switch proportions for next time, adding more cranberry juice, less vodka)
1/3 Cup Cranberry Juice (I used diet, to keep it from being overly sweet)
1 Tablespoon Orange Zest

Preheat oven according to package directions.  Combine all ingredients in large bowl (I replaced the water the box mix calls for with vodka and cranberry juice, so if your mix requires a different amount of water adjust accordingly), mix until well combined.  Pour batter into prepared muffin tins (as previously discussed, I never end up with the amount the box tells you) and bake according to package directions.

Lime Buttercream

1 stick Butter (softened to room temperature)
3 Cups Powdered Sugar
1-2 Tablespoons Milk
2 Tablespoons Lime Juice (this could probably be taken out and replaced with a tablespoon of zest)

Cream butter in a large bowl.  Sift powdered sugar in to butter, mixing between additions.  Add milk and zest, mix until combined.  If you're not happy with the consistency, add more powdered sugar (to thicken) or milk (to thin) until it's easy to spread on the cooled cupcakes.

Here's to you, Susan.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment