Sunday, February 7, 2010

Heavenly Lemon Angel Cake

Last Monday was Kristi's birthday- HAPPY BIRTHDAY KRISTI!  She's eating healthier lately, something that's not a terrible idea for the rest of us (coughmecoughcough) to start doing and out of respect for that I wanted to make something special for her birthday that didn't contain eight sticks of butter.  I thought about it and remembered that angel food cake isn't too terrible for those who are trying to eat healthier, and decided to go ahead with that idea.

Crystal found this recipe in a Pampered Chef book for cooking light, and forwarded it to me.  I know it looks like I'm pimping Pampered Chef lately, but i promise that'll go away.  I don't sell it, nor do I want to, though I do appreciate the products I own.

The recipe was really easy, you don't even have to have a tube pan to make this!  And I'll confess that I used a box mix.  Would you believe that I helped some friends of mine move last weekend?  That cuts down on the amount of time I had available to grocery shop and spend in the kitchen.  I'm sorry Kristi, my use of a mix in no way reflects on my affection for you, I just ran out of time. 

Ingredients:
1 pkg (16 oz) angel food cake mix
1 Tablespoon lemon zest
1/4 Cup fresh lemon juice
2 Cups powdered sugar
2 Cups thawed, fat-free frozen cool whip (I used sugar-free!)
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen raspberries or strawberries in syrup, thawed (I used mixed berries)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.  Prepare cake mix according to package directions.  Pour batter into 13x9 inch baking dish.  Bake on center rack 35-40 minutes or until top of cake is golden brown, cracked and firm to the touch.  Do not underbake.  Remove from oven and invert onto cooling rack to cool completely (do not remove cake from baking dish).

You can prepare cake in advance through this step - when cake is completely cooled, tent loosely with aluminum foil until ready to serve; proceed with remaining steps.

Turn baking dish upright; poke holes in cake about 1 1/2 inches deep and 1/2 inch apart with large fork.  Combine powdered sugar , lemon juice and lemon zest; whisk until smooth.  Slowly pour glaze over cake, spreading evenly.  Let stand 30 minutes until glaze is set.  Garnish each serving with whipped topping and top with raspberries or strawberries.


The cake was delicious-good on you HEB and your fantastic box mix.  Even though the directions were confusing, I think it had more to do with my inability to comprehend NOT adding things to a mix, and not the way the instructions were written.  The tartness added to the cake by the glaze was amazing and unexpected, this would be perfect during the summer since it's so light and refreshing!

No comments:

Post a Comment