Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sopapilla Cheesecake


 Oh. My. Goodness.
You guys have no idea how delicious this was.  I printed off this recipe about six months ago and just never got around to making it.  Until last week.  I was in a rush and wanted something super quick to bring to quiz, so I busted out the page and bought my ingredients.

Everything came together so easily, I couldn't believe that I was "done" so early.  I was getting ready for the evening when suddenly, I could smell the wonderful mixture of cinnamon, sugar, butter, and cream cheese.  It was calling to me from the kitchen.  I ran to tell Anna, her door was closed and the scent hadn't quite gotten all the way down the hall, to stop studying and come in to the kitchen. I opened the oven door and we were hit in the face with one of the most delicious aromas I've ever smelled.  Wow. It was as if I had a cinnamon roll candle in the oven.  

I took the pan out of the oven and set it on a wire rack, hoping it would decrease the amount of time it took to cool.  Right before we left for quiz I cut the cheesecake into squares and took just a little bite.  Quality control. You understand.  Then I had Anna taste it since two opinions are always better than one.  We decided they didn't live up to the smell but, as Anna pointed out, that's probably a good thing since candles are rather waxy...

As with the Toffee Sandwich cookies, these were better the second day.  The cheesecake layer needs to set a little, so I would suggest letting them come fully to room temperature before serving (though I tried them as soon as they were cool enough to cut and they were still really good).

Sopapilla Cheesecakes
2 cans crescent rolls
2 8 oz. packages cream cheese
1 1/2 Cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick butter

Preheat oven to 350.

Spray a 9 x 13 with cooking spray.  Unroll and press one can crescent roll dough into the bottom of the pan, pressing the seams together to seal. 

In a large bowl, blend the cream cheese, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until well combined. Spread cream cheese mixture over top of dough. 

Unroll second can of crescent rolls and place on top of cream cheese layer, pressing seams together again.

Melt butter and pour over the top layer of dough. 

Mix the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together.  Sprinkle cinnamon sugar generously over the top.  Bake for 20-30 minutes, until bubbly and bottom crust is slightly brown (the pan I used wasn't glass, so I couldn't see the bottom, but the top was super bubbly).  Cool on a wire rack.  Wait until bars are completely cool before slicing/serving.  It's worth the wait, promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment