Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Honey Beer Bread


A few weeks ago Anna and I threw ourselves a party.  As you may have read, we moved and we LOVE our new place.  We love our new house to the point of inviting people over for the sole purpose of showing it off.  I didn't ever want people to see the last place I lived, so this was quite the adjustment.

The party was amazing; so many of the people we love (and a few that we just like) came, including my sisters and Anna's parents, and we listened to music, ate a ridiculous amount of food, and made up plotlines to terrible horror movies while they were on mute.  Overall I think it was a success.  The point I'm planning on getting to is that, post-party, we had a rather large amount of (adult) beverages in the house.  So much so, that our crisper drawers no longer held produce and cheese.  Beer had taken over the fridge. And our counter top. 

I've had a few recipes for beer bread set aside and, since I don't really drink beer, thought I could do my part to get rid of some of the beer by trying them out.  I chose to go with honey beer bread first because I love honey.  Love it.  Remember my friend Julie?  Her parents keep bees.  Do you know what that means?  Fresh honey.  And they gave me some.  It's delicious!  I thought this would be a fitting purpose for the Wilde Farms honey, since most of the Wildes I know enjoy their fair share of adult beverages.

Honey Beer Bread
3 Cups flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons honey (Tip: heating the honey in a pot of hot water will make it easier to get out of your measuring spoon)
12oz beer (I used a Sam Adams Boston Lager, but use what you like)
4 Tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350. Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.  Stir honey and beer in until just mixed.  Pour 2 Tablespoons butter into a loaf pan, then spoon batter into pan.  Pour remaining butter on top (I left this part out, but will include it next time).

Bake for 50-60 minutes.  You'll know the bread is done if you tap it and you hear a hollow sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment