Sunday, July 4, 2010

My Birthday, Part One


As I mentioned in a previous post, I had a birthday recently (and by recently, I mean at the end of April so not recently at all).  It was by far the most amazing birthday I've had in a very, very long time.  I've written before about what a big deal birthdays were when I was growing up, and have tried and failed to recapture the magic for myself throughout the years since I moved away from home.  This year though, I decided things were going to be awesome. 

Want to know why having an awesome birthday was so important to me?  I seriously spent the night of my 21st birthday by myself, in the library, studying for a lab practical and finishing a sociology paper. That's why.  Seriously, terrible birthday.

THIS birthday, my 25th, was amazing.

It started a whole nine days before my actual birthday, I went home and spent a wonderful weekend with my family.  My mom made me a cake, I slept in, had a sleepover with Shelby, and all was right with the world.  I got the Pioneer Woman cookbook from Dominique and it turned out to be perfect timing.  My mom was leaving for D.C. at the end of the week and would be attending the Pioneer Woman's book signing while she was there!  I love the Pioneer Woman.  For serious. 

I decided to do one thing every day the actual week of my birthday and it went a little something like this:
Monday- volunteering and Pilates, doesn't sound very exciting but a good way to get ready for the week
Tuesday- meeting in Austin until 8:00, which resulted in meeting at Magnolia Cafe with my step-sister and a friend for Mag Mud (which you should rush out and try ASAP)
Wednesday- kickball games followed by burgers and beer
Thursday- Quiz Night!

I'll stop here and say that Quiz was the official kickoff to my birthday weekend celebration.  Allison and Nicole had cupcakes waiting for me at the bar when I got there, and I felt really, really special.  Seriously, look at them.  So pretty, and tie-dye!


I took the next day, Friday, off because who wants to work on the Friday of your birthday weekend?  And I really enjoyed waking up late and goofing off almost all day.  That night there was a concert that I was looking forward to; Randy Rogers, Wade Bowen, and Coolio were all performing at the same venue, so we packed up our lawn chairs and set up camp in the grass at Wolf Pen. We danced and sang along to almost everything, and then there was a robot.  Pretty much the perfect start to an awesome weekend.
 
*As a side note, can I just say the fifth-grade version of me was so pumped to see Coolio perform Gangsta's Paradise?  I know it's lame but, at least in my hometown, there's no way you didn't know all the words to that song and LOVE IT.  True story.*

No comments:

Post a Comment